Watkinson School: SPHERE Summer Program
180 Bloomfield Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105
- Academic Enrichment
- Creative Writing
- Educational Activities
- Environmental Learning
- Field Trips
- Health and Wellness
- Science Activities
Ages Served:6–14 years old
Areas Served:East Hartford, Hartford
Program Length:4 weeks (1-week sessions)
Start Date:July 5, 2022 (first session)
End Date:August 5, 2022 (last session)
Hours of Operation:8:30 am–3:30 pm
We obtain an Office of Early Childhood license to operate a youth camp.
How to register please visit https://watkinson.org/sphere/
More about our camp:
Watkinson opened its doors to SPHERE 47 years ago and continues to support this critical summer program for Hartford and East Hartford students. Watkinson provides in-kind support with the use of facilities, postage, marketing, technology support, grant-writing resources, website content, printing, directors non-summer salary, and food service labor costs that includes providing each student with two daily snacks and nutritious lunch.
SPHERE is a five week program for students from 1st to 5th grade and is geared toward students who are below grade level but are not mandated by the state to attend summer school.
SPHERE objectives include:
- Teach, strengthen and reinforce math, literacy and technology skills;
- Integrate fun-filled summertime activities, hands-on learning and academics;
- Demonstrate that learning can be achieved through creative and recreational activities;
- Develop in students the passion to learn;
- Allow students to take academic and social risks in a supportive and safe environment;
- Provide students with one-on-one teaching, which is often missed in the regular academic year;
- Present students with strategies to balance academic and social commitments.
Students are grouped according to grade level and participate in academic classes that are comparable with the Common Core State Standards; focusing on literacy, math and technology. Academic classes are 55 minutes each and include hands-on activities, group discussion, research, group work and short assessments to check for academic progress. The afternoon activities focus on art, recreation, parent run activities, field trips, and presentations. The goal is to help curb students’ summer learning loss by reinforcing basic skills, providing additional support and opportunities. With the support of the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, students will be able to learn and utilize new strategies to balance academic and social commitments that await them in the upcoming school year.
SPHERE Summer Program is Summer School Compatible.